Thursday, September 9, 2010

VPL Autumn Booksale - cheap books!

Why do I feel that I'm the last to hear about the Vancouver Public Library's public booksale?! I've been missing out!

Autumn has unofficially arrived, and the weather's begun to turn back to crisp mornings and chilly evenings. The perfect time of year to curl up with a book in bed or on the couch with a cozy blanket, accompanied by a warm cup of tea. Got something to read? 

Thanks to Laura and Chris for mentioning it to me last night, I have already penciled in the dates of the VPL booksale on my calendar this October. It runs for 4 days, from Thursday the 21st to Sunday the 24th, and I have it from veteran booksale goers that every day brings out new books to the thousands on sale (so it's worth it to go more than one day).



It's a very ecologically sound undertaking, this booksale - BYOBags to carry your books home (cash and carry event, much like a garage sale), selling of previously used goods (recycling!), and they're not even going to be burning the books which would contribute to atmospheric pollution! (I mention the latter only because I think that there is one group in particular in Florida who should reconsider their book burning ways. C'mon guys - whatever happened to doing unto others as you would have them . . . oh, nevermind. Falling on deaf ears, I suppose). Be kind and love one another already!!!

But I digress! This booksale sounds like a wonderful opportunity to grab a year's supply of novels for $0.55 a piece, or to stock up on your particular subjects of interest for $2.25 a pop! As the library whittles down its multiple copies of books which are no longer considered new releases, you can adopt them and flesh out your own bookshelves at home for pocket change. Please also note that on a separate day, Saturday, September 18th (10am-6pm), they will be selling audio (cassette), video (VHS) and language materials at the central library on West Georgia.

Here's the dirt straight from the VPL booksale website:

Fall 2010 Book Sale

Alice MacKay Room, Lower Level, Central Library, 350 West Georgia Street
Thursday, October 21 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
Friday, October 22 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday, October 23 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, October 24 12:00 am to 5:00 pm

 

Prices

All items are $2.25, with the following exceptions:
Adult and children's novels 55 cents
Children's non-fiction books 55 cents
Children's picture books $1.10
Pocket-sized fiction paperbacks 55 cents
Large print books $1.10
Audio cassettes 55 cents
Multilingual books 55 cents
Magazines 25 cents
"Special Finds" Prices vary
Encyclopedia sets $30.00 per set or $2.25 per volume

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this on my radar! I had totally forgotten about the fall sale.

    It would be interesting to start a group for people who are going. That way 'members' could list specific books they are looking for and we could all be on the look out for them for each other on whichever days we are able to go. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, good idea! What books are you looking for? I'd be looking for crochet books and mags (obviously...!), Indian cookbooks (esp. veg.), and then any Moosewood cookbook...! :)
    Don't know when I'll be going, but let me know what you're on the lookout for! Any other takers? Post below!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was some way (besides email) to alert us when someone else commented on a post - I don't check my blogger email too often.

    Magazines are a must at book sales, I agree. I like your list. Allyson is a great cooker of Indian cuisine, we should all take lessons from her! :) I'll have to think on what books I'm eyeing. Three weeks until the big day! :)

    ReplyDelete